Fort Kearny State Historical Park
Buffalo County, Nebraska
The U.S. Army established Fort Kearny in 1848 to protect travelers on the Oregon Trail. The post was located at a junction where several eastern feeder trails merged and became one broad trail following the Platte River 330 miles west to Fort Laramie, Wyoming.
None of the original sod and adobe buildings have survived, but two of the fort buildings have been reconstructed.
Fort Kearny State Historical Park is at 1020 V. Road in Kearney, Nebraska.
It is open to the public and administered by Nebraska Game and Parks.