The Missouri & Kansas Pioneer Trails Auto Tours
Missouri and Kansas have always been great places to begin grand adventures! Independence, Kansas City and St. Joseph were famous starting points for the Oregon and California Trail pioneers. Today you can see history and enjoy your great vacation adventure!
The first pioneer groups left from Independence in 1834. By 1842, tens of thousands of pioneer emigrants trekked into the uncharted frontier to find a new home in Oregon. The first pioneer groups unloaded their wagons and belongings off steamboats at Independence, Missouri. Soon Kansas City’s Westport District became another launching point. Eventually with so many pioneers and goods going West, suppliers and outfitters made St. Joseph a new launching point further north up the Missouri River.
Today’s pioneers can….
- Plan your adventure at the National Frontier Trails Museum in Independence
- Discover why St. Joseph is The King of the Trails
- Enjoy great shopping at Village West in Kansas City, Kansas
- See buffalo roam on native prairieland near Manhattan
- Marvel at the Frontier Army Museum at Fort Leavenworth
- Be inspired in the Freedom’s Frontier National Heritage Area
- Experience the fun of the Kansas City Metro Area
Discover Your Pioneer Spirit…